Skip to main content

Cornwall BWA

Had this event on my radar for a while. I had been trying to get Finn to Tiree but had not been able to get him there. By doing this last event of the season he would be in the running for the english Youth champion, all he had to do was win.  For me hopefully some fun sailing.  Forecast looked good on Wednesday night so got a ticket for the boat from Rosslare to Pembroke. A eye watering €320.  I somehow miss read the ferry time thinking it was 1am rather than 9.45pm which made for a rushed Thursday. Worked till 1pm with Finn packing and hit the road at 3 with a bit of sleep on the road and boat rocked up at Gwithian around 11 to 19c 1ft cross off 5.0 weather. Not bad for the end of October.We both had a fun disco sail. ( big moves tiny surf !).

Quick sleep on the M5 somewhere in Devon

 Great to see lots of friends, partially the Pidden family who  stay in Brandon Bay every summer. 


Finn

Pulled up at the car park Saturday to still small surf and not much wind. A little worrying ! Finn went for a Surf while the briefing was on. Find out he is in the first heat of the day which is going to be held a long way up wind at Peters point and as the wind is building we need to get moving. Lucky he sees me waving on the cliff top and comes in. 3 rigs 2 boards, water, food, wetsuits  10 min walk upwind then down a dangers track down the cliff is hard work.

Finn first heat goes well, showing he is very happy in DTL sailing with more speed and better turns than the rest of the youth fleet. Into the final and things do not go so well. It pretty horrible watch i have him in 4th out the 4 man final after around  7 min of the 10 min heat. At last he gets a set wave and gets by far the best wave of the heat. Without a  very good second wave it is going to tight.  Jack Petit has a few good long waves which must score well but  without real  hard  turns.   Jack gets the win. Bummer but the right call. We now have to pray for a second round which never comes which leaves Finn Second over all for the event and Vice champion for the year. I tell him he can walk home !. You always need a bit of luck to win and he did not get it in that heat.

Saturday Niall

With 32  sailers in the Ams fleet it is a while till I get to sail being in heat 7.  I though i was in with a good chance with the odd wave up to head high and cross off winds on port tack it looked like home. Sailed 4 heats to get to the final. Think i used a 5.0 4.7 and 4.2 keeping on the 81 Quattro twin that was working supper well in the softish waves. With no jumps to count I tried to use as small as sail as possible. Working on getting good hard turns rather than flying down the line for airs. All my heats went pretty well with the last one being almost in the dark. With  Mike Archer and Mike Wand Tetly   both in the running for the overall title it was a stacked heat. Sailed a ok heat and was pleased to go through with Will Barrett. Sail down wind to Gwithian in the dark. The Goat track up the cliff in the dark is a well scary place to be.

Team Work

Sunday forecast was not looking too good, I really wonted to sail the surf was bigger with light winds. Conditions I like. Finn was also thinking much the same. In the end only the masters and Ams finals were sailed at around 3 pm.  20 min heats 2 waves with  logo  high waves coming through. Great everyone would get waves in that time span  and we could wait for the best ones. The wind was little bit onshore. Used my great 5.4 poison sail that has so much low end power and the 81 again which is a bit on the small side but gets up and going fast.  We had a bit of everything from no wind to really windy when rain squall passed through.  I had spotted that we might get wind with the rain on the way so had Finn ready with the 5.0 and smaller board. Got a bomb wave on  that kit, the last wave on the heat on. In the end I got some great waves and with a couple safe ones in the bank I could just go for it and hit every lip coming my way. Sailed well and with two 8 as my counting waves so did the judges giving me first.

Thanks to all the BWA crew for a great event. Jamie Knox,  GA sails and Kathleenmcauliffe.com

Final, to much fun not to jump !


Finn Back home. Opps I left my prize in the Bluff Inn



Niall

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer 2016

Summer 2016 This summer has been a very good summer for me, In Between working at the beach For Jamie Knox Watersports I got some pretty nice sailing at home not that much of it but some good fun sessions, I also went to Pozo in Gran Canaria for my first time for some jumping training, and then I returned to Tenerife for more onshore training ad for the PWA Event at Cabezo. In this blog I'll talk about my first experiences at Pozo and how Tenerife went for me. Sticking up my new 2016 GA Sails Pozo Pozo was my first excursion of the year, I went the week after I finished school. I traveled by myself  I planned on renting kit in Pozo, I flew from Dublin to Gran Canaria which again is the typical very boring and uncomfortable trip to the Canarias ! For the first 2 nights I had an AirBnb appartment to myself which was nice (Ps. Thanks Adam Lewis for teaching me how to use a gass cooker) and then for the other 4 days staying at the Windsurfing Hostel. Not a bad view from

Spring 2016

Surf Trip Clare   On the 13th of April, Myself and my parents traveled to Clare for a weekend of surfing as there was a Junior National Surf Comp but I also knew Jamie O'Brien was in Clare filming new "Who Is JOB 6.0". A few days before I got a message from JOB on snapchat,I was over the moon getting a reply from him, and that made me super excited for the weekend ahead. I didn't think I would get to see him I was just excited by the fact i was even in the same country as JOB seeing as that he is my favourite surfer. Once we arrived it was pumping so I jumped straight into the water, And once returning back to the beach my Mom said "Jamie O'Brien was here 5 minutes ago" I didn't believe mom at first,I didn't want to believe I had missed the chance to see him !  Later on that day I went searching for Surf with Tom Knox and two other friends and as we were getting close to the surf spot we were over taken by this Red Bull Van, I instantly

Quatro Super Mini 83 Mini

Quatro Super Mini 83 Mini first impressions Rik from zero gravity was over here for some sailing with board in his van. It seamed rude to let him talk it home, so it ours now. As a rule I tend to choose the board within a range which are the most suited to good DTL conditions but with Finn spending more time in onshore spots and anything which helps with getting going fast  has to be of interest. So far only it  sailed 4 times. 3 times in waves and  once on flat  water. Some 5.4 weather but mostly 4.7 in  head high waves, side shore and  onshore . I bought it as a crappy conditions/ onshore/ jump board which will get sailed in proper ground swell too. It's a sweet board very quick to get going and fast while still having a good front side turn. In average south coast / Tenerife conditions it is  great board because  Super quick to get going  Jumps really well feeling light and small in the air.  Points really high.   Very good at carrying speed on soft waves. You