Skip to main content

New Kit ! + Lack of Wind and Waves

Weather has not been great of late for windsurfing or Surfing round here, some nice sunshine mixed in with a lot of rain. The odd small swell but nothing to get excited about.


New Kit ! We now have gotten lots of shiny new kit

Boards


Quatro Pyramid. We now have 78 and 86. Thank you very much to  zero gravity for the support.  Weather here has been rubbish, so we have not had much sailing on them.

 I sailed the 86 and Finn sailed the 76 the first day we got them in windy 4.7 wether and i had a sweet 5 knot session in perfet shoulder high DTL  . Only sailed them twice not so not had much time to    give  a proper impression other than the 86 was a bit over fined with the stock  18cm + 10cm side fins  in the windy weather and small surf. Second sail  on the 86 in  wind set up with smaller K4s felt much nicer.  Had thought about going for the 92L as our big board, but the 86 has loads of float.
So whats new ?  They are Shorter and wider. The straps are  way back on the boards;  looking forward to some proper conditions to find out more. We have last years   Pyramid 78 which is a epic board which we are holding onto.

Sails
Finn Sailing in Cabezo

 New GA IQ. Used these a fair bit as we had them in Tenerife.  Little lighter in the hands + best colour ever !.  Have a soft batton option  which I am looking forward to trying in the bigger sizes if we ever get wind and surf again. I like to sail my sails full and change down as soon as possible



With two of us sailing our quiver gets a fair bit of use we have most sizes from 5.4 to 3.3. Two sets of  4.7 which is the go to size here. Only replace the main sizes yearly  which this year was 5/0 4.7 and 4.2 and if we sell some more old kit will replace a couple more.

New Van

The expensive one ! For the last 6 years or so I have had a old 1994 VW syncro van. I rather liked having a old van that did not matter being full of  sand in and not having to care about knocks and scraps. Being 4x4 we could drive with care on the beach which is great saves time and makes it easy to change kit. That van died back in May when the gear box failed.  I got a temp Opel  Varo till I had money and time to get a nice van.  Was a nice drive but every thing felt a bit nasty about it + it felt only a matter off time till it had a major problem.  Now have a shiny  4 motion T5 transporter. Cost far to much but is lovely to drive, still 4x4 even the locks and doors work.!  For work we quit offten need the van on longer drives so really nice to have  a good one. Fingers crossed

Niall 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer 2016

Summer 2016 This summer has been a very good summer for me, In Between working at the beach For Jamie Knox Watersports I got some pretty nice sailing at home not that much of it but some good fun sessions, I also went to Pozo in Gran Canaria for my first time for some jumping training, and then I returned to Tenerife for more onshore training ad for the PWA Event at Cabezo. In this blog I'll talk about my first experiences at Pozo and how Tenerife went for me. Sticking up my new 2016 GA Sails Pozo Pozo was my first excursion of the year, I went the week after I finished school. I traveled by myself  I planned on renting kit in Pozo, I flew from Dublin to Gran Canaria which again is the typical very boring and uncomfortable trip to the Canarias ! For the first 2 nights I had an AirBnb appartment to myself which was nice (Ps. Thanks Adam Lewis for teaching me how to use a gass cooker) and then for the other 4 days staying at the Windsurfing Hostel. Not a bad view from

Spring 2016

Surf Trip Clare   On the 13th of April, Myself and my parents traveled to Clare for a weekend of surfing as there was a Junior National Surf Comp but I also knew Jamie O'Brien was in Clare filming new "Who Is JOB 6.0". A few days before I got a message from JOB on snapchat,I was over the moon getting a reply from him, and that made me super excited for the weekend ahead. I didn't think I would get to see him I was just excited by the fact i was even in the same country as JOB seeing as that he is my favourite surfer. Once we arrived it was pumping so I jumped straight into the water, And once returning back to the beach my Mom said "Jamie O'Brien was here 5 minutes ago" I didn't believe mom at first,I didn't want to believe I had missed the chance to see him !  Later on that day I went searching for Surf with Tom Knox and two other friends and as we were getting close to the surf spot we were over taken by this Red Bull Van, I instantly

Quatro Super Mini 83 Mini

Quatro Super Mini 83 Mini first impressions Rik from zero gravity was over here for some sailing with board in his van. It seamed rude to let him talk it home, so it ours now. As a rule I tend to choose the board within a range which are the most suited to good DTL conditions but with Finn spending more time in onshore spots and anything which helps with getting going fast  has to be of interest. So far only it  sailed 4 times. 3 times in waves and  once on flat  water. Some 5.4 weather but mostly 4.7 in  head high waves, side shore and  onshore . I bought it as a crappy conditions/ onshore/ jump board which will get sailed in proper ground swell too. It's a sweet board very quick to get going and fast while still having a good front side turn. In average south coast / Tenerife conditions it is  great board because  Super quick to get going  Jumps really well feeling light and small in the air.  Points really high.   Very good at carrying speed on soft waves. You